Search

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Two tetes are better than one?


Where it all begins -- in French
Last night, I arrived on the evening flight from Paris eager to get my Dakar on. Sara had taken the enviable nonstop from DC, but I was glad I had layover since I had never been to Paris. After 5 hours of walking along the Seine, with a traveler's pack on my back and a camera around my neck [I know, I wanted to kick my own ass], I was ready for our African adventure to begin.  I did, however, learn an important lesson while in France. French is a difficult language to understand. Particularly if you're the kind of person, like me, who took French in high school and for one year in college, and you couldn't understand a damn thing back then either. French is hard, and in Senegal, people speak French.

It is exhausting being in a foreign country, trying to understand a foreign language by yourself. But after a full day in Dakar with Sara, when neither of us speak French, I'm not sure if two (mono-lingual) heads are actually better than one. We left our hotel at 1pm for a day of exploration. But when traveling in a country where you don't speak the language, exploration is limited to generic places at the discretion of the taxi driver. "Ou voulez-vous aller?" "Uh, the le bank." "Quelle banque." "Le bank qui n'est pas ici."

In fact, it is quite difficult to recount what we did today, because I don't think I actually understand many of the things that happened.  Here are a few conversations based on our understanding of both the French and English languages (in order of absurdity):

Julienne: So, do you want to reconsider taking French lessons only 10 hours per week?
Sara: Yes. It needs to be a minimum of 40 hours, if not more. I think we should become the investment bankers of French school.

Julienne, writing a blog in Wolof
Julienne: Did you go out to the clubs last night?
Taxi Driver: Oh, my shirt? It's the Senegalese National team.
Julienne: Soccer?
Sara: Women's Basketball?

Julienne: Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Taxi Driver: It's a mosque.

Julienne: This ATM doesn't work, is there another bank nearby?
Random man waiting for ATM: Quelle banque?
Julienne: Do you live here?
Random man previously waiting behind us at the ATM who is now walking us to another bank: Yes, at the place with two faces.

Sara: My French is way worse than I thought, and your French is way better than I thought.
Julienne: Quoi?!?

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour, Sara et Julienne. Glad to hear that you are exploring le cite and getting your bearings. Keep the posts coming! Love 'em. Au revoir, votre mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je m'apelle Roger. Those french, they have a different word for everything. Er, really glad you arrived. M-O-M

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are both there safely. I have now started checking your blog several times a day to see what is going on with you. I love it! You have inspired me to start thinking about our blog potential...that damn name thing is always an issue. I need to hire Nancy to come up with both a boat name and a blog name...

    ReplyDelete